About the Examination
(1) Examination of Prathama – After study for two years.
(2) Examination of Madhyama – One year after the Prathama examination.
(3) Examination of Visharad Pt. I – One year after the Madhyama examination.
(4) Examination of Visharad Pt. II – One year after the Visharad Pt. II – One year after Visharad Pt. I examination.
(5) Examination of Nipun Part I – One year after Visharad Part II.
(6) Examination of Nipun Part II – One year after Nipun Part I.
(7) Examination of Nipun Part III – One year after Nipun Part II.
(8) Examination of Acharya – Two years after the Sangit Nipun examination.
About the examination of Bhatkhande sangit vidyapith
Eligibility for Admission to various Examinations:-
(a) Admission to the Prathama Examination –
Admission to the Prathama Examination shall be granted only to those who have completed the prescribed course of studies from :
(i) The institutions affiliated to the Bhatkhande Sangit Vidyapith, Lucknow.
(ii) The Institutions recognized by the Vidyapith.
(iii) Under the private coaching of reputed musicians and qualified teachers.
to the Madhyama Examination –
(c) Admission to the Visharad Examination –
Admission to the examination for Visharad shall be granted only to
those who have passed the Madhyama Examination of the
(d) Admission to the Nipun Examination –
Admission to the examination for Sangit Nipun, Vadya Vipun Nritya Nipun shall be granted to those who have pursued for three complete years the courses of study prescribed by the Bhatkhande Sangit Vidyapith after having passed the Visharad Examination of the Vidya pith of its equivalent :
(i) Candidates appearing at the Nipun Part I examination shall have passed the Matriculation examination or High School examination of a recognized University or Board of Examinations respectively.
(ii) No candidate who is less than seventeen yrs. Of age will be permitted to appear at the Nipun Part I examination.
(e) Admission to the Acharya Examination –
Admission to the examination for Acharya shall be granted to the following:-
(i) Those who have passed the examination of Nipun at least two years before the application for admission to the examination for Acharya and are certified by the Directors of Bhatkhande Sangit Vidyapith or by the Head of any other Institution which teaches the requisite course of studies and as such is or shall hereafter be recognized by the Vidyapith for the purpose of admission, who have been engaged in research work in the subject concerned for not less than two years.
(ii) Teachers and research assistants in the Vidyapith who have passed Nipun Examination and have served in some recognized institution for at least three years as teachers.
(iii) The candidate shall have passed the B.A. or any equivalent degree of a recognized University.
Time of Examinations
Application for admission to various
1. Application for admission to all the examinations of the Vidyapith shall be addressed to the Registrar, Bhatkhande Sangit Vidyapith, Lucknow, U.P., on a prescribed from available from the Vidyapith. No application which is received late than August 31st of the year concerned shall be entertained.
2. Every applicant for admission to an examination of Bhatkhande Sangit Vidyapith must enclose the following documents along with his/her application :-
(a) A full list of the Ragas and approved musical compositions, or Talas and Rhythmic Figures that he/she is expected to complete before the date of the examination.
(b) A certificate of attendance and progress report signed by the Head of the Institution he/she applies through or by a qualified and recognized teacher of the subject concerned except in the case of the examination for Sangit Nipun and Sangit Acharya application of admission to which must be sent through the Head of the Music Institution teaching the requisite course of studies.
(c) In case of an application for admission to the examination higher than the Examination of Prathama a certified copy of the certificate of the attested copy of the mark-sheet of the previous examination passed.
(d) The name of the centre at which he/she wishes to appear for the examination.
(e) The requisite examination fee.
In the case of Blind candidates the superintendent of the center concerned shall arrange for writers to write the theory papers at the candidate’s dictation and the candidates cost.
Musical accompaniments required at the practical examination will be arranged for by the superintendent of the center concerned.
The theory papers of the examination of the Vidyapith shall be set in English and Hindi only.
Pattern of examination
The examination of the Vidyapith shall be in two parts i.e. Theory and Practical.
There shall be common theory papers for following groups of subjects from Prathama to Nipun Part II.
a) Sitar and Sarod
b) Violin, Esraj, Sarangi and Guitar
c) Flute and Shehnai
d) Tabla and Mridang
The marks of the Theory and practical Examinations in each subject are distributed as under –
1. Prathama Max. Marks Min. Pass Marks
Practical 200 66
Theory 100 33
2. Madhyama Max. Marks Min. Pass Marks
Practical 200 66
Theory 100 33
There shall be two parts - Visharad Part-I and Part-II, each carrying the following marks separately:-
(a) A candidate must pass both in Theory and Practical, Separately. If one fails either in Theory or Practical he/she shall be deemed to have failed in the examination.
(b) In case any candidate who secures 3 marks less than minimum passing marks, a grace of 3 marks will be given by Vice-President Bhatkhande Sangit Vidyapith. This will not be implacable for both theory and Practical at a time.
(c) The minimum percentage of marks required for a pass in the first, second and third divisions are us under :-
Min. pass marks for : I Div. 60% in the aggregate.
Min. pass marks for : II Div. 45% in the aggregate.
Min. pass marks for : III Div. 33% in the aggregate.
(d) Minimum marks required for Distinction - 75% in the aggregate on the aggregate marks obtained both in Visharad Part I and II.
There shall be three parts of this examination, namely Part I, Part II and Part III. In Nipun Part I and II there shall be two papers each year carrying 100 marks each and 200 marks for practical each year.
Nipun part III will have two parts of Practical Exam.
(1) Stage performance and
(2) Viva Voice each of 200 marks.
Nipun Part I & Part II
Practical 200 Marks
Theory Paper I 100 Marks 400 Marks each Year
Theory Paper II 100 Marks
Nipun Part III
Stage Performance 200 Marks 400 Marks
Viva Voice 200 Marks
(i) Candidate must pass both in Theory and Practical Separately.
(ii) The Division for Nipun shall be declared on the aggregate marks obtained in Part-II and Part-III examinations.
Candidate for the Acharya examination shall submit a Thesis containing original research on some topic of Vocal Music, Instrumental Music or Dance according to the subject offered and present themselves for performing in a Mahfil (Music gathering), each of them as to satisfy the examiners appointed for examining the Thesis and for judging their ability in the practical demonstration as to their fitness to pass in the Examination shall be conferred in that subject.
Private Candidates - Admission to examinations
The following examinations are open to private candidates in Vocal, Instrumental and Dance –
Note: Every instrument is considered as a separate subject for the purpose of examinations.
1. The Visharad examinations will be open to only such applicants who have passed the Madhyama of the Vidyapith or the equivalents recognized by the Vidyapith in the subject in which admission to the Visharad examination is sought.
2. (a) Printed application forms for admission to the examinations can be had from the office of the Registrar, Bhatkhande Sangit Vidyapith, Kaiserbagh, Lucknow, on payment.
(b) Forms of applications for admission to the examinations must be ordered before the 30th of July of the year concerned.
3. Forms of applications for admission to an examination duly filled in with the name of the applicant written in block letters in English and in clear Hindi letters, date of application, date of birth, center of examination at which the applicant wishes to present himself/herself for the examination, should reach the office of the Registrar, Bhatkhande Sangit Vidyapith, Lucknow, not later than August 31.
4. In exceptional cases, and on reasonable ground an application received late than August 31, shall be accepted on payment of late fee.
5. (a) Written examination shall be held simultaneously at every center on the dates and at the hours notified by the Registrar, Bhatkhande Sangit Vidyapith, Lucknow
(b) Practical examination shall be held at different centers on the dates and at the hours notified by the centers concerned with consent of the Practical Examiner appointed by Vidyapith.
6. Application for admission to an Examination must be accompanied by the following documents –
(a) A certificate testifying to the applicant’s having completed the course of studies prescribed for the examination, admission to which is sought, signed by the teacher of the applicant who must be a Visharad of the Bhatkhande Sangit Vidyapith in the subject or an equivalent of the Visharad recognized by the Vidyapith if the applicant appears direct, or by his/her/Head of the institution recognized by or affiliated to the Vidyapith if he/she applies through such an institution or other wise by a person of repute and eminence in music.
(b) In the case of Vocal Music and instruments played by the bow and wind instruments. A complete list of Ragas and opening words or songs prepared in them with mention of extempore development of the Ragas and songs.
(c) In the case of instruments played by the Mizrab (striker) – A complete list of Ragas and Gats, slow and fast, prepared in them with a mention of the extempore development of the Ragas and Gats.
(d) In the case of Tabla and Mridang – A complete list of Talas, opening cadences, Boles, Kaydas, Todas and Parans prepared (opening cadences only).
7. (a) An applicant for admission to the Visharad Examination shall enclose, besides the documents referred to in clause 6 above, a true copy of his/her Diploma of Madhyama or if he/she has passed the Madhyama from any other recognized institution, a true copy of the Madhyama Certificate of the institution. Or the attested copy of the Mark-sheet.
(b) Applicants for the Visharad Part II examination should clearly mention in their application form the date of their passing the Visharad Part I in the subject concerned.
(c) For Applicant of Visharad Part II examination Min. age limit is fourteen years. Age certificate must accompany with the application form.
(d) The certifying teacher, who is a Visharad or Nipun of the Bhatkhande Sangit Vidyapith or holds an equivalent of the Visharad recognized by the Vidyapith should mention the year of his/her passing that examination.
payments must be remitted to the Vice-President, Bhatkhande Sangit
Vidyapith, Kaiserbagh, Lucknow. In Cash or by Bank Draft, No Cheques will be
Recognized equivalents of the examination of the Bhatkhande sangit vidyapith for the purpose of admission to higher classes of examinations of the vidyapith
to 5th year are equivalents 1st
to 5th year
Music is equivalents Madhyama of the
Music Is recognized
4. 1st to 5th year Examinations in the Vocal, Instrumental and Dance of Indira Kala Sangit Vishwavidyalaya, Khairagarh, M.P. are equivalent to 1st to 5th year examination of the Bhatkhande Sangit Vidyapith.
5. 1st to 5th year Examination of Sri Vallabh Sangeetalaya, Bombay is equivalent to 1st to 5th year examination of the Bhatkhande Sangit Vidyapith.
6. Sangit Bhushan and Visharad of Government School of Music and Dance, Bhatkhande Sangit Vidyapith, Lucknow.
7. Visharad from Gandharva Mandal of the Vidyapith.
8. Admission to the Sangit Visharad’ll is granted directly to such applicants who have passed the sangit Prabhakar of the Prayag Sangit Samiti, Allahabad or Prachin Kala Kendra Chandigarh.